Dec 13, 2011

Craddle, palm trees, and the true meaning of Christmas

Well, I probably have much to report including how much I miss the snow and some of our Christmas traditions. It has been really fun to see the differences here, but I'm not sure how I feel about almost no one celebrating Christmas in Taiwan. As we were helping at a Nativity performance this weekend I realized just how much we do around this time of year and how we really focus on the season. I thought back to last Christmas and gathering with the family at the Oak's house. I remember singing carols, both in our neighborhood and with family. This year I will have some different traditions, including teaching the gift of Christmas with those I meet.

Christmas day will be the day that many of our investigators will be baptized! This week I met many wonderful people, including Kenny (張楷寧) and Leo (李總). They both have incredible testimonies, and a deep knowledge and willingness to live the gospel. Jeremy (黃俊圍) [I probably got that third character wrong, because I am guessing] is incredible, though he hasn't come to church for the past few weeks. We will be focusing on getting him to church this week and obviously next week so that he can be baptized. Each companionship has at least 1 that is preparing for Christmas.

I should tell you a little bit more about the area. In 新莊(xin1 zhuang1) we have 3 companionships (we are one of the smallest districts in the smallest zone of the mission). There are 2 sisters and 4 elders. The area that we cover is just about as populated as 三重(san1 chong2) , but with much smaller streets and feels a little slower paced (though in 台北 nothing is slow paced). Our Chapel is a 25 minute bike ride through a very industrial area and the area around it is in heavy construction right now. It was an adventure the first time going there. Our chapel's grounds are beautiful and it is set just a little bit apart, surrounded by trees; it feels as though I am somewhere else whenever I go there. The actual area that my companion and I serve includes a city on top of a mountain (which we make a trip to weekly). 林口(lin2 kou3) is a beautiful place and the hospital there is super busy. There is a college there; if 新莊 weren't peaceful, 林口 surely is. The food there is great and the air feels different. We spend our Friday afternoon doing service, then we proselyte the rest of the night, because there used to be elders up there we have plenty of formers to go visit and we have referrals from the military base there.

We have one of the greatest wards that I have ever had. They are so inviting and the bishopric is very behind us. We will be having dinner with him this coming Sunday. The other members are very good and I am excited that Christmas will provide some more opportunities to help them share the gospel with their friends. Elder Kenison and I are going to make a focus of this transfer working with members, because this is one of the hardest activities to do in 台灣, though just like anywhere else the fruits it yields are amazing. I still remember 江姐妹, she is still doing very well. As we work more and more on helping our members to share the gospel with their friends we hope to see a great improvement within this area, we have so many missionaries and so many great ward members.

This week was a lot of adjusting to the area and trying to orient myself. For some reason this place has taken the longest to get my bearings, but I think I have them now. I know the way to most everything we do regularly, but I will be getting more comfortable as time goes. This past week has gone by so incredibly quickly and I cannot wait to see some of the things coming up. 2 of the missionaries that I served with in the Missionary Training Center are serving in the zones near me. There is one in central zone (where I was 2 transfers ago) and one in the north zone (where I want to go) We had a great time seeing each other at the Nativity program.

I have been studying quite a bit and have learned that my faith needs to grow. We have a quote on our door about urgency and the need to lift ourselves to the realm of miraculous. My trainer, Elder Bogle, and I had a transfer that was nothing but miracles. Our second transfer together went day by day as we saw many people coming to the gospel message. I hope that Elder Kenison and I can create a time like that and be able to make this ward even greater.

I know that this work is true, that by truly following the promptings of the spirit one will be blessed. The Lord directs His work, as only he knows how. I know that just as the Book of Mormon is true, so too is the life of our Savior and Redeemer Jesus Christ. One has but to love Him and read His word with honest desire and he or she will know.

Love,
沈義謙

2 comments:

Kazooboy said...

Mormonism is a cult and you need to get out of it. Run to real Christianity. You need the blood of Jesus.

Unknown said...

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is in fact a real Christian church. We believe that through the atonement of Christ all mankind may be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of His gospel.