Dec 10, 2013

What is Loneliness?

Song of the post, "Thanks That was Fun" by Bare Naked Ladies. Do you ever have those days when your iPod plays exactly what you are thinking? That has been happening a lot to me recently. It is silly. Maybe it requires me to be thinking more.

This post started in my head very similar to the way the song did, it was just there and I realized that I had something to say.

Who doesn't miss loneliness?

Where did it ever get me?

Why shouldn't I share everything?

Have you thought about all those individual sports and activities that you did as a child (and probably still do) I know for sure I was one of those kids that played soccer, violin, went to class and participated in a million other activities. Violin was my individual 'sport' as a child. I think it was really a way that I could get away and do something that I enjoyed so much then.

I fence. I pick up a sword, put on a mask and forget everyone else in the room but my opponent and the judge standing next to us. That's my individual sport. I couldn't do it directly with anyone else. Sure I spend lots of time practicing, getting along with and enjoying the company of others, but this is something that really stands to be intensely personal.

How many other things in life are like fencing in this way?

 I play magic. Much like fencing I sit down and it becomes me and them. Just a chance to put together a puzzle. For the most part I come out better if not more tired for all the thinking.

How often do I get down (emotionally) doing individual sports?

How much am I my own man?

I go to church. Now that is something that has almost nothing to do with others in the way that I feel and respond. I make my faith more so than any other. Oh, the gifts from God. Beyond this it teaches me that all the social interaction that comes from this 'individual' sport are just that.

What is one man against the world? Well a whole lot, when he is surrounded by a whole lot of other individuals who themselves are having something to do about it.

Yesterday I watched Frozen by myself. I loved the time to think and enjoy a wonderfully weird movie. I thought of all the things I could share with my friends about just how silly it was. I'm glad I didn't share it with them there, because it makes for such better conversation later.

Conversation. So good. Isn't that what this is all about? Meaningful deep and personal conversation. Take a chance have some fun just talking again.


PS. I read some of my old posts, its fun to see how one changes just writing a little bit like this. Now I'm glad I have time for all of this.

No comments: