Jan 1, 2015

Simply Another New Year

Song of the post, "Float On" by Modest Mouse.

In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.” 
― Gordon B. Hinckley

As this new year starts many things are coming together; I have lived through 23 of these ritual renewals so prevalent in our society, noticing that I have usually done little with it. Last year around this time I was in Southern Utah hiking a breathtaking mountain with 2 of my best friends. This time around I am in a little piece of paradise on Oahu also hiking mountains and resting on beaches. I am with one other, my wife, best friend and companion. My life's situation has changed, but as always I feel as though I have not, I feel fundamentally the same. On my mission I felt seemingly perfect and invincible frequently and now I feel much the opposite, though all within the same shell.

I am a bigger man now, the high school and mission weight losses have worn off and I am much of what I once was. Many days I feel poor of spirit and poorer of wealth. I am surrounded by many great friends and acquaintances, though like many in our generation I feel that technology has robbed me of many precious moments (perhaps I have robbed myself through technology). Frequently the realization strikes me that I am not the smartest or even close to as smart or knowledgable or wise as I thought I once was. I am not "On Top of the World" nor am I that much lower. This is a post about being average, and the realization that the world is not my oyster.

Maybe it takes something else to truly "Rule the World."

“It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers.” 
― Gordon B. Hinckley

No comments: